Sunday, April 27, 2008

Facts about Alaska. And gear talk.

I don't know much about Alaska except what I've seen in the movies and on TV. I decided to compile some facts about Alaska.

* It's the largest State. I knew that.
* Population - 683,000. That's the Metro area of Sacramento.
* Mount McKinley, or Denali. As I understand it - locals use Denali. Unless you climb it. Then it's McKinley. I'll go with Denali as it's the native's original term for the peak.
* Anchorage has maybe six buildings that look 'tall'.
* An example of a traditional native food is Akutaq, the Eskimo ice cream, which can consist of reindeer fat, seal oil, dried fish meat and local berries. - If I can find it, I'll eat it!


So far the gear I'm taking is my standard road trip + camping gear plus special Alaska "just in case" gear.
* Jayne Cobb hat (yet to arrive!!)
* Borrowed ski jacket
* Backpacking single man tent, 30 degree bag
* GPS + maps (road and national parks)
* LED head lamp, flash light and matches. And my new fancy striker + flint!
* Radios for Micah and I to tell each other bad jokes and insult each other.
* Cell phone (iPhone)
* First Aid, med kit and water treatment.

No comments: