Monday, May 19, 2008

Are you Tok'ing to me?

We are in Tok, AK. Population 1500ish.

We've seen some wonderful mountains, pictures to come hopefully tonight. This blogging is far more difficult for some reason on this trip.

I woke this morning, at about 3am, to a screaming Micah. His leg cramped as he was attacking mooses. I woke up, thinking he was shot or stabbed and went back to bed.

So far, no wild life. We did stop by an abandoned shack, parked on a bridge to get a few shots and took a trip up a dirt road to a cell tower site.

So far we are ahead of my schedule. The plan tonight includes sleeping in Valdez and hopefully jumping on the ferry to W-something.

Below is my twitter. I have been trying to update it as we go along. Cell coverage is spotty. This area will change as the content is dynamic!


I'll turn it over to Micah now.

Apparently my leg has a tendency to cramp up in hotel rooms for some reason. I failed to warn Danny of this and woke up screaming in the middle of the night. "A heads-up would've been nice," he says. Sorry.

Of the many things I will be able to say of myself after this trip, add "I have photographed a grizzly bear in the wild" to the list. Intense.

We saw the pipepline. Got within about 50 feet of it.

We have now gone from Anchorage to Mt. McKinley (Denali) to Fairbanks to Tok in less than 48 hours. The scenery just keeps getting better as we go.

I've never seen an area so desolate as the stretch between Fairbanks and Tok. Unreal.

I ran into a couple of people from Minnesota in Tok. My own kind -- sweet!

I'm pretty sure I could live here. I'll be back soon, but next time I'm driving.

No comments: