Friday, May 23, 2008

Midnight sun, and other things you don't see in MN

People are telling me that I need to keep up with the blog too. Hey, I'm on vacation. But okay. As we wind down our final hours in Alaska, here are a few observations...

Alaska is big. Really big. You can drive and drive and drive for a week and only scratch the surface.

We were up till about 12:30 last night and it was still dusk! The sun only sets for about three hours this time of year but it doesn't really get dark dark. Very weird.

Things are very expensive. We've seen gas as high as $4.50 a gallon at the whaddyagonnado gas station. A six inch sub from Subway is 8 bucks, 12 for a footlong.

The mountains are huge, and they don't end. You get past one set of mountains and there's another one.

The people are very friendly - friendlier than Minnesotans. We haven't come across anything but friendly people thus far.

There are animals everywhere - all different shapes and sizes. So far we've spotted 8 moose, 3 bears, and several porcupines on the road. On our cruise we saw several whales, sea lions, otters, mountain goats, and a couple others that I can't remember. I will have photos to post when I get home, but for now you'll have to settle for Danny's photos which are much better anyway.

Overall, it's a great place to visit, and I will undoubtedly be back again someday, but I don't think I could live here. A week away has me longing to see flat land again. But you're a fool if you don't visit Alaska at least once in your life. It is, quite simply, the most beautiful place on earth, and we've been fortunate to have great weather and the chance to see some of the best of it. But after a week of driving and sleeping on the road, I'm looking forward to getting back home and being met by a certain somebody at the airport.

No comments: